Brackenfield SEND School takes pupils from age 4. However, due to the cognitive needs of our pupils many pupils experience an EYFS based curriculum regardless of their age. The Teaching Learning Curriculum and Assessment Policy sets out our curriculum and approach for all pupils (for specific guidance see TCA, reading, numeracy and subject rationale policies).
Brackenfield SEND School meets the requirements of the EYFS Statutory Framework by:
- Providing a secure foundation through learning and development opportunities which are planned around the needs and interests of each individual child and are assessed and reviewed regularly
- Partnership working between practitioners and with parents and/or carers
- Equality of opportunity and anti-discriminatory practice, ensuring that every child is included and supported
We ensure we are meeting these requirements by:
- Having clear EYFS guidelines that all staff follow across the school with an embedded approached which will be checked through quality assurance cycles
- Teaching through bespoke curriculum and play based learning opportunities ensuring teachable moments are being captured and utilised
- Working openly with other professionals and parents and information sharing where possible. This included offering training, support and advice to parents to enhance development for the children
- Ensuring inclusion is at the core of our practice by offering an open and accessible education to anyone from any race, gender, disability or religion.